Close of my internship

My internship finished last week (end of July) and I used last week to wrap up everything and create a few nice visualisations of my dataset, clean up my Python scripts and write a report.

The Python scripts that I used for extracting the texts and metadate and for cleaning the texts is available on GitHub. For Topic Modelling I used Mallet and Gensim. Mallet is a Java tool, while Gensim is a Python library. My implementation of Gensim can also be found on GitHub too.

I started my internship with knowing little about topic modelling and related tools. During my internship I learned about topic modelling as a tool to investigate a large corpus of text. I learned about benefits and pitfalls of using this technique. I explored my data set using tools such as Mallet, Gensim, nltk, and Gephi. I learned more about Python programming, how to optimise your programs and how to make them faster. Finally, I learned also a good bit about my data set, the letters of 1916, and what are issues working with it. I wrote a short internship report for DAH focusing on the objectives of the internship and my learning outcomes.

My internship report as pdf: ReportForDAHJuly2014

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s